Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pasta Primavera

I am the worst about letting vegetables spoil in the bowl on our dining table on in the crisper drawer in the fridge. It used to drive my sister crazy when we lived together. Now that Justin and I have got more vegetables hanging around each week, the likelihood of 1 or 2 going bad before I get around to using them is even higher. Not so this week! Enter: Pasta Primavera.

An assortment of odds and ends I had in my fridge and a few things I got at the store on the way home:
According to wikipedia, pasta primavera can contain almost any kind of vegetable, although I suppose it'd be nice if you stayed true to the name and used mostly Spring vegetables. I used zucchini, mushrooms, a mild hatch chile, red bell pepper, broccoli, red currant tomatoes, garlic, onion, and even some fresh okra.

--I spent most of my prep time chopping vegetables, so you could get some pre-chopped ones from the store and it would really save you on time.--

Saute the onions; add the garlic; then peppers and mushrooms, then okra and broccoli. Turn down the heat and cover for a few minutes to let the okra and broccoli soften just a bit without burning. Uncover and turn the heat back up to medium-high and add the zucchini. Season with black pepper and a little bit of salt. Add the tomatoes at the last minute just to warm them.


Toss whole wheat pasta with a tiny bit of olive oil and some chopped fresh basil. Top with your veggies and just a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan cheese. (It really tastes better if you grate it fresh from the block yourself rather than buy it already grated) If you've got the time, adding some toasted pine nuts will really add to the flavor. Toast a handful in the oven (or toaster oven) at 350 for 6-8 minutes, or in a heavy pan on the stove until they smell fragrant and turn toasty brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment