Sunday, August 29, 2010

The makings of a beautiful sandwich

I continue to be amazed at the ability of so many restaurants to mess up something as simple as the veggie sandwich. Perhaps they subscribe to the same philosophy as Korean airlines: Vegan meal = the most bland and boring food one could possibly imagine. No wonder people think you need meat and cheese to make something taste good.

Here are the makings of a veggie sandwich I threw together last week:

-Whole Grain bread: I like the Seeduction loaf at Whole Foods

-Whole Grain or Stone Ground Mustard: Thinly spread on both slices of bread

-Roasted Veggies: I used 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash, cut in half and then sliced lengthwise and a small potato in thin slices. If I have a red bell pepper, I love to throw that in as well. Sprinkle with some black pepper, a little cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper (depending on your spicy tolerance), a generous portion of freshly minced garlic and a couple of slices of onion (just for flavor). And here's the key to making it more healthy: instead of using salt and oil, toss the veggies with some tamari (a low sodium version of soy sauce). Roast at about 400-425 for 20-30 minutes. You want the veggies to be tender but not mushy.

-Hummus: We like the flavors with peppers mixed in. I find the spiciness of the peppers is a great balance for the smoothness of the chickpeas. This week's flavor of choice was Green Chile.

-Avocado slices: A must. And don't be stingy. If the avocado is small, use half of one per sandwich, it it's large use about 1/4 per sandwich.

-A leafy green veggie. On this particular day I used Romaine. Depending on what we have, I like to use spinach, chard, or even kale.

Pile it all together and you'll have a better veggie sandwich than lots of restaurants.

The finished product:


1 comment:

  1. I make delicious grilled veggie sandwiches with very simple ingredients. I slice, brush with olive oil, and grill eggplant, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms. then I stack them up on focaccia sliced horizontally and grilled 'til toasty. Sometimes I add cheese, and usually a little salt and pepper, but that's it! It's AWESOME every time. And I don't even use a real grill: I just have a cast-iron grill pan I use on the stove-top.

    Someone should let the restaurants know that simple doesn't have to mean bland!

    ReplyDelete